Information, tools and advice needed to guide you through the faculty process of submitting a request for funding
4 steps to follow when submitting a research proposal to a funding agency
Theses steps are to be followed in collaboration with the Research Office of the FSAA
The internal deadline at the FSAA Office of Research usually precedes the agency’s deadline by seven days.
***If this is not completed, you still must submit your resume, the budget and justification and a first draft of the proposal. Do not hesitate to contact your advisor if this first step is problematic.***
Your advisor will give you comments, suggestions and advice. This will allow you to enhance your request and ensure that it is compliant.
You must send a hard copy (excluding your resume) to your advisor, duly signed by you and your advisor’s department director, the day before the agency’s deadline at the latest.
Once received, the copy will be signed by the Associate Dean of Research and can therefore be approved by the institution for the funding agency.
***Remember that when you submit online, your request is not sent directly to the funding agency. There is an internal validation step that must go through the faculty. In addition, the faculty must keep a signed hard copy of the proposal.***
Faculty Review Process
In order to help Faculty professor–researchers fund their research and improve their success rate when competing in three major federal council competitions (CIHR, SSHRC and the NSERC) and the Fonds de recherche du Québec, the FSAA has put a mandatory review process in place for all regular competition funding requests. The following requirements must be met:
- You must submit the review form no later than 48 hours before the deadline. This step is a prerequisite for faculty approval of all requests.
- You choose your two reviewers.
- Your research proposal can be reread by co-researchers or collaborators.
- In the case of a first attempt to renew a request, one reviewer is sufficient.
- The review form must be completed by your reviewers.
Major funding agencies that provide funding to professor-researchers at the FSAA are:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Counsil of Canada (NSERC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Counsil (SSHRC)
- Fonds de recherche nature et technologies (FRQNT)
- Fonds de recherche santé (FRQS)
- Fonds de recherche Société et culture (FRQSC)
- Ministère de l'Agriculture, des pêcheries et Alimentation (MAPAQ) [in French only]
- Canada Research Chairs
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation