Optimize soil irrigation in accordance with sustainable development
The NSERC-Hortau Industrial Research Chair in Precision Irrigation’s mission is to determine soil mechanics to ensure optimal crop productivity and sustainable development. The primary goal of the industrial chair is to use this information to develop an innovative approach to local irrigation management.
The Industrial Research Chair in Precision Irrigation is divided into two broad areas of research:
- Understanding how the cranberry and the strawberry react when changes are made in three of the main soil parameters (soil-moisture tension, aeration and electrical conductivity) associated to irrigation in order to increase productivity
- Optimizing crop yield by gradually incorporating these parameters in a comprehensive irrigation method while reducing the environmental impact associated with leaching
Partners associated to Research and Development Grants:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Les Canneberges Bieler inc. [in French only]
- La Ferme Onésime Pouliot Inc. [in French only]
- Nature Canneberge
- Transport Gaston Nadeau inc.