A plus for FSAA
Université Laval and the Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences want to encourage the warm reception of students from other universities in order to promote the exchange of ideas, collaboration and interdisciplinarity. Students from all levels of education (undergraduate and graduate) can embark on a research training internship supervised by a Université Laval professor and have access to a number of services.
Subsequently, interns must be officially enrolled at Université Laval and don’t have to pay any tuition fees.
Benefits of a research training internship student status:
- Interns are covered by civil liability insurance in the scope of their internship activities.
- Interns are given a student ID card and enjoy all the associated benefits, including the ability to borrow works from the library, free access to sports facilities, reduced rates for mass transit, cultural activities, etc.
- Interns have no tuition to pay.
- In the context of their internship activities, interns are covered by Université Laval’s civil and professional liability insurance.
French students: Quebec has a health insurance reciprocal agreement and students must fill out their SE-401-Q-106 form before their departure from France.
4 primary steps to follow when welcoming international interns:
It is important to note that the invitation process for research training interns can only be done at the request and initiative of a Université Laval tenured professor.
The Université Laval tenured professor comes to an agreement with the student about his/her participation in a research internship and a letter is sent by the professor to the student.
The professor and the student agree on the terms and conditions of the internship. A research training internship agreement must be signed.
2 cases could arise :
- The student, or his/her institution, sends you an internship agreement which must be signed by an authorized representative. First, the professor must verify all information that was agreed upon by both parties (remunerated or unremunerated, duration, internship description, etc.)
- The student, or institution, does not have an internship agreement. A template is available on the BI site and must be completed by the professor
This internship agreement, and its accompanying letter, serve as invitation documents for immigration measure.
When obtaining a work permit, expect a delay and start the process as quickly as possible.
The Office of Research sends a digital copy of these two signed documents to the Registrar’s Office in order to prepare for the intern’s arrival.
On receiving these documents, the Registrar’s Office sends the application form to the student, explaining the steps to be followed upon their arrival at Université Laval.