Understanding indirect fees and exceptions
Université Laval conforms to the highest of ethical standards in the field of research. Consequently, our establishment has created management conditions that specify the responsibilities of professors, researchers and students.
- a minimum of 15% of all direct expenses for research grants
- a minimum of 40% of all direct spending for research contracts
3 exceptions to the basic rule:
- Quebec Government ministries and agencies: 27% of all grants
- Federal councils (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR and Networks of Centres of Excellence): No indirect costs on grants.
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD): 13%
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC): 13%
- National Institutes of Health (NIH): 8%
- Equipment over $7,000 when included in the budget
- Funding applicable to Canadian Fondation for Innovation (CFI) projects
- Academic excellence prizes and scholarships
- Grants solely intended to cover travel expenses and accommodation fees
- Amounts paid for research purposes by Université Laval, its faculties or its foundation
- Funding related to organizing symposiums, conferences and seminars
- Moneys granted to third parties, i.e. in the form of work assigned to sub-contractors and whose work arrangements are specified in a contract between Université Laval and the sub-contractor concerned.